Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Minions

Here is an odd, but very respectful and pleasant, email exchange I had with an MLB reporter yesterday.  Of course, yesterday was MLB Opening Day!  While I was searching for a way to watch the games, I ran across an ad on MLB.tv for their video package.  [The corrected version is now posted.]  Our email exchange will make the issue obvious:
FYI: This is a quote from your story/ad for MLB.tv ("'Baseball's Everywhere' in 2010..."): "As always, the best way to get to know more about MLB.TV is to simply ask any of the minions who consume the National Pastime this way."  Assuming you don't mean to insult MLB fans by calling us "minions," you may want to correct your post. 
  I figured this was just a comical typo...To my surprise, the author replied...
I appreciate this email, Glenn. I have used that word occasionally over a 30-year media career and always thought of it as a synonym for "masses" for whatever reason. Not sure I'll be able to have that replaced in the MLB.TV story because we are engulfed in so much content amid the first week, but going forward I definitely will take this into account. Great call. Thanks.
He later added:
That is being changed now. Thanks again.
 This all made me chuckle a bit, until the thought crossed my mind...how long before the reporter's definition of minions as a synonym for "masses" becomes accurate?  How long before "masses" is synonymous with the dictionary definition of "minions":

min·ion[min-yuhn]       –noun

1.a servile follower or subordinate of a person in power.
 Given that no one has corrected the reporter on his use of the term during a "30 year career," perhaps we have already crossed over from masses to minions.  If we haven't yet, the Texas Board of Education is determined to finish the job

2 comments:

  1. guess that child was left behind 30 years ago...

    -David

    ReplyDelete
  2. Given some of the work my fellow grad instructors have shown me, I'm not sure we can say anyone was left behind until someone moves ahead. :)

    ReplyDelete